8216 Lorain Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44102
Manager: Crystal Tancak
Lorain Branch is located just north of I-90 near the Lorain Avenue exit. The branch offers free wifi and public computers with Internet access. Printing, copying, scanning, and faxing services are available for a fee. As a “mini TechCentral,” the Lorain Branch houses a 3D printer, a 3D scanner, a SmartBoard, and two sewing machines, which are available upon request. A meeting room that seats up to 50 may be reserved in advance; call or visit the branch for details. A free parking lot is located behind the building off W. 83rd Street.
History & Architecture
As the ninth branch in the Cleveland Public Library system and one of many Cleveland Public Library branches built with funds from Andrew Carnegie, this Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood branch opened in 1912. At the time, the Library’s Annual Report described the building as “Greek-inspired” and constructed of buff brick with stone trimmings. The library is 8,400 square feet.
- The Lorain Branch features a WPA mural titled Ohio City, painted by William Dolwick in 1934. Dolwick was a resident of the neighborhood and a Lorain Branch patron. The mural depicts a view of Ohio City in 1834, as viewed from Scranton Heights. It was removed as part of the 1985 renovation, restored by the Intermuseum Conservation Association, and reinstalled in 2002.
- Lorain Branch frequently hosts MakerLabs and classes to allow patrons to explore and learn how to use the special equipment.
- Lorain offers separate adult, young adult (YA), and children’s collections of Spanish materials.
- This branch has a large community garden in the rear of the building and is one of five Seed Libraries in Cleveland. Thanks to a partnership with the Cleveland Seed Bank, patrons can visit the branch and receive five free packets of seeds each month.
- Branch partners include the Detroit Shoreway Community Development Corporation, West Side Community House, Willard Head Start, H. Barbara Booker Elementary School, Almira Elementary School, Marion C. Seltzer Elementary School, Stockyard elementary and middle schools, and several child care centers.