Manager: Ken Knape
The Eastman Branch is located in the Cudell neighborhood on the west side of Cleveland, approximately ten minutes from downtown Cleveland. Eastman offers free wifi and public computers with Internet access. Printing, copying, scanning, and faxing services are available for a fee.
History & Architecture
Eastman opened its doors in 1980 and is one of Cleveland Public Library’s busiest branches. While planning the 12,000-square-foot facility, architects Joseph Ceruti & Associates described their vision to “make a simple bold statement to contrast with the anonymous adjacent structures in the vicinity” of the Lorain and West 117th Street area. To accomplish this, they used predominately blank masonry walls and two sculptured entrances. Exterior and interior materials were selected to minimize maintenance. To provide sufficient daylight, the architects included an atrium as a focal point with clerestory lighting; the reading and reference areas surround the atrium.
Ceruti & Associates believed that tax-supported institutions, especially the Library, “should lead the way in exposing the taxpayer to quality works of art.” Thus, Eastman Branch has several pieces of art, including works by Peter Paul Dubaniewicz and William McVey (Walrus).
- Eastman serves a community rich in diversity. Eastman has an impressive array of Arabic and Spanish Language books, and computer instruction is available in English and Arabic.
- The branch is located down the street from the Variety Village District and the Variety Theater, which opened in 1927 and is currently being restored.