Louis Stokes Wing
525 Superior Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44114
Supervisor: Sarah Dobransky
2018 Tax Information and Resources
About the Department
The Government Documents Department contains publications published and distributed by the United States Government Publishing Office. As a congressionally-designated federal depository, the Cleveland Public Library selects publications originating from all agencies of the federal government and covering all topics. The Library has been a federal depository since 1886 and is one of the most comprehensive collections in northeast Ohio.
As a Federal Depository Library, public access to the government documents collection is guaranteed by public law (Title 44 United States Code).
The Federal Depository Collection
- U.S. Census: 1790 to date, is available in a combination of book, microform and CD-ROM. Included are the decennial Census of Population and Housing and the non-decennial Agriculture and Economic Censuses (Retail, Wholesale and Services).
- Congress and Legislation: Biographical information on the legislators; committee assignments; Federal department rosters; and domestic and foreign consular listings. Progress of any legislation can be traced using these resources. Also available are Congressional committee hearings, reports, documents, prints, public laws, and legislative histories back to 1789.
- Consumer Publications: The Consumer Information Catalog and the online Sales Product Catalog. The Consumer Action Handbook helps consumers navigate today`s complex marketplace.
- Laws and Regulations: Current public laws, as well as permanent volumes of the Statutes-At-Large and the U.S. Code. The Code of Federal Regulations dates back to 1938. Federal Register dates back to 1936.
- Office of the US President: Official activities and communications of the President of the United States, including Executive Orders and Proclamations. On this topic, Government Documents also recommends:
- Presidential Actions (from the White House)
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 3, an annual compilation of Presidential documents (e.g., Proclamations, Executive Orders, and Other President Documents) and a codification of regulations issued by the Executive Office of the President. Title 3 can be found by year on the Code of Federal Regulations webpage.
- Statistics: Search federal statistical publications from the 1960`s to the present by geographic divisions, by commodities and income, and by numerous other qualifiers, including age, race, sex, and education.
- Basic Collection:The federal depository program also mandates a basic collection of documents that should be readily-available, some of which are linked above. Check out a full list of documents here: Federal Depository Library Program: Basic Collection Online
Although not government publications, Congressional Publications and Statistical Insight are two databases that can be used to access government documents and information. Both of these can be accessed through Cleveland Public Library’s Research Databases page.