Enjoy a slideshow through time and watch the evolution of Cleveland Public Library’s cutting edge use of technology. From typewritten cataloging and “high-tech” electric erasers at the beginning of the 20th Century to the first computerized online Library Catalog in the 1980s.
A Letter to our community in light of recent events: Continue reading…
The Cutting Edge of Library Technology
Kathleen Dowd, Catalog Department, Main Library, 1937, operating one of the Library’s typewriters specially fitted to accommodate two catalog cards simultaneously.
A motor-driven eraser speeds the work in the Catalog Department. Photo taken May 1937.
The Library’s multigraph, an early copy machine that reproduced letters that looked like they were typewritten, used for catalog cards. May, 1937.
A Library employee using the Telautograph machine, an early precursor to the fax machine, ca. 1925.
The Library’s Telautograph machine was used to send information between the Public Catalog room (pictured above, ca. 1925) to various departments.
One of Cleveland Public Library’s earliest Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) computers. Experimental use began in 1980. 1.2 million titles were online by 1982.
Dr. Ervin Gaines, Director and Ms. Marion Huttner, Deputy Director, using the Library’s new Online Public Access Catalog, early 1980′s.