Louis Stokes Wing
325 Superior Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44114
About the Department
Since it first opened in 1869, The Cleveland Public Library has played an important role in enhancing the quality of life in our community. The Archives was organized in 1984 as a repository for materials relating to the founding and development of the Library.
Nearly 900 linear feet of material comprise this department. The Archives maintains the annual reports, blueprints, board minutes, statistics and agency records. The Archives is also the source for the branch photographs represented in our digital collections. Other types of materials in the Archives include lantern slides, photographs of the Main Library, scrapbooks, audio and video recordings, summer reading club buttons, plaques, posters, post cards, book plates and brochures. There are runs of library serials such as The Open Shelf, Staff Newsletter and the Cleveland News Index.
The Library Archives is a division of the Planning and Research Department. An appointment may be scheduled for those wishing to do research by calling 216.623.2938. Hours are on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.