Thanks to a grant provided by The Cleveland Foundation, Cleveland residents will now be able to borrow the internet just like a book. Mobile hotspots provide 24/7 access to the internet with unlimited data on a fast, secure network.
A mobile hotspot is a portable device that provides internet access to any Wi-Fi enabled device within approximately 30 feet. Hotspots rely on mobile broadband service from a cellular provider to provide 4G LTE coverage.
The ability to use the internet has become increasingly important in all facets of daily life, yet not everyone has easy or affordable access to this technology. The purpose of the circulation of mobile hotspots is to lessen the gap of the digital divide by providing our patrons with greater access to the internet away from the library. This furthers Cleveland Public Library’s mission to serve the informational, educational, recreational, and technological needs of our diverse community.
Rules for Borrowing
- 21-day checkout
- Must be 18 years or older to check out a hotspot
- Must have a Cleveland Public Library or CLEVNET library card in good standing
- 1 hotspot checkout per person
- $0.10 late fee per day
- No renewals or holds
- Only 1 hotspot per account at a time
- Allow 24 hours for processing when returning
- Hotspots are deactivated if overdue