4303 Pearl Road
Cleveland, OH 44109
Manager: Luigi Russo
South Brooklyn offers free wifi and public computers with Internet access. Printing, copying, scanning, and faxing services are available for a fee. Parking is free.
History & Architecture
Originally located on the corner of Pearl and Devonshire, the first site for the South Brooklyn Branch was built with Carnegie funds and belonged to the independent South Brooklyn Village. When the village annexed to Cleveland, the building was turned over to the Cleveland Library Board. In 1936, a former bank building was bought, remodeled, and expanded to house the branch.
In 1979, Cleveland Public Library opened a new 10,200-square-foot building designed by Fred Toguchi Associates. The architect used the natural contours of the site to define the interior areas with gradual floor level variations. The interior areas were designed to be intimate in scale and lit by skylights. Exposed, painted mechanical ductwork was considered a modern design element.
- A 1980 sculpture by Carl Floyd, which consists of two sandstone arcs standing approximately ten feet tall, is located on the north side of the building on the corner of Pearl and State Roads.
- South Brooklyn offers a Kids Café in partnership with the Greater Cleveland Food Bank to provide free meals for children.
- Coffee cart sponsored by Recovery Resources.