Monday – Saturday: 10am – 6pm
South Branch Restoration
South Branch opened on June 12, 1911, as the eighth branch within the Cleveland Public Library system built with Carnegie funds. The building’s striking stone façade, English Gothic architecture, and Tudor interior made it a beloved facility within the Library system. After serving the public for a full century, however, the building’s condition had deteriorated. An assessment revealed mechanical system and structural failures, all of which compelled Library to close this branch in 2013 and temporarily relocate it to a smaller space on Clark Avenue.
Over the past few years, Cleveland Public Library embarked on an extensive process to determine how to best serve the neighborhood by either building a new branch or restoring the Scranton Road building. The Library invited feedback from the community, which resoundingly supported preserving the historic Carnegie building. In September 2015, the Cleveland Public Library Board of Trustees passed a resolution to reopen the Scranton Road building after making necessary repairs and improvements.
The restored building preserved, among other aspects, the original stone façade, the interior woodwork, the perimeter shelving, and the fireplace. A new addition features a second entrance on Clark Avenue that is ADA-compliant to ensure all patrons can easily access and use the library facilities. The restored branch also includes quiet study rooms, separate teen and children’s spaces, a sound booth, a multipurpose room, and a large meeting space that can be accessed after hours. This fully accessible, updated facility offers the technology and services of a 21st century library while still preserving the integrity of the original Carnegie building.
- South Branch has a large collection in Spanish of movies, fotonovelas, magazines, music, novels, and informational books, as well as a great selection of English language materials.
- Guitars are available for patrons’ in-house use.