11535 Shaker Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44120
Manager: Lexy Kmiecik
Monday – Saturday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Located in the Buckeye-Larchmere neighborhood near Shaker Square, Rice Branch is surrounded by an active arts community. Rice offers free wifi and public computers with Internet access. Printing, copying, scanning, and faxing services are available for a fee. The library’s meeting rooms are often used for art displays and musical performances. Parking is free.
History & Architecture
Rice Branch was first established as a school library at Harvey Rice School and then a storefront on Buckeye Road. After becoming a library branch in 1927, a new building was constructed on East 116th Street. The current branch on Shaker Boulevard was built in 2010.
Inside, high ceilings and wood beams evoke sophistication and warmth. Outside, red brick pays homage to the original branch design while a curtain of tall glass reflects the images of the neighborhood.
- The Learning Center at Rice Branch seats approximately 18 people in an environment ideal for educating. This space is equipped with a laptop, projector, and an interactive SmartBoard and can be reserved for open group meetings and small gatherings.
- The Learning Center offers Cleveland Metropolitan School District textbooks and a strong collection of educational books for the GED and TABE. Rice also has a large audio/video collection and a wide selection of popular magazines.
- Through a partnership with Neighbor Up, Rice Branch hosts a monthly Network Night for the greater Buckeye community every third Wednesday.
- Free yoga, Qigong, meditation, and knitting classes are held at Rice. Please contact the branch for additional information.
- Rice features a well-balanced collection for all ages, included a growing and dedicated teen/YA collection.
Juneteenth Activity BooksRice Tuesday, June 06 | 10 am
Children can pick up an activity book and craft kit to learn more about Juneteenth. (while supplies last)
Juneteenth Faux Campfire StorytimeRice Thursday, June 08 | 12 pm
Join our family friendly Juneteenth storytime for children ages 3-5 as we read books and enjoy a campfire inspired treat.
0 to 3: Read to Me Playdate!Rice Wednesday, June 21 | 5 pm
Building your child’s brain is as simple as reading, singing, playing and talking! Join us as we read engaging books and sing lively songs with plenty of time for playing and talking! For children ages 0 to 3 (36 months) and a caring adult. Siblings welcome. Giveaways! Questions? Call 216-623-7114. These programs are made possible by a generous grant from The Bruening Foundation.
Register and browse a complete listing of upcoming 0 to 3: Read to Me programs at cpl.org/readtome
Read It and Eat ItRice Thursday, July 06 | 12 pm
Join the Greater Cleveland Food Bank to learn about tasty and healthy summer treats you can make to beat the heat. Check out some healthy cookbooks and try out even more delicious recipes.