10200 Superior Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106
Manager: Bill Bradford
The Langston Hughes Branch is located minutes from the main campuses of the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital, the Western Reserve Historical Society, the VA Medical Center-Louis Stokes, the Cleveland Museum of Art, and Case Western Reserve University. The branch offers free wifi and public computers with Internet access. Printing, copying, scanning, and faxing services are available for a fee. Parking is free in the lot located next to the library bordering Superior Avenue.
History & Architecture
The Langston Hughes Branch opened in 1998. The facility includes 8,370 square feet designed by R.P. Madison International. The exterior is composed of red brick with horizontal bands of white brick. The interior is has a long rectangular reading room, a circular meeting room topped by windows, and a curved ceiling vault with clerestory windows.
- The Langston Hughes Branch has a special collection of original documents written by the author Langston Hughes. These documents include a letter to Cleveland Public Library, photos, and literature by and about Hughes.
- An Ohio Historical Marker, which can be found at the northwest exterior corner of the library, honors the life and legacy of Langston Hughes.
- The branch also displays artifacts including an autographed copy of Langston Hughes’s 1920 Central High School yearbook and hardware from Hughes’s former residence on East 86th
- An outdoor tile mosaic by Malcolm Brown from 1998, The Jazz Messengers, adorns this branch.