1566 Crawford Road
Cleveland, OH 44106
Manager: Lexy Kmiecik
The Hough Branch is a busy neighborhood library with three schools in its immediate service area. The patron population is diverse, and both its youth and adult collections reflect the needs and tastes of the community. Hough offers free wifi and public computers with Internet access. Printing, copying, scanning, and faxing services are available for a fee. A meeting room, which may be reserved in advance, seats up to 40 people.
History & Architecture
The first Hough building, which opened in 1907, was inspired by Christopher Wren’s Orangery at Kensington Palace in England. In developing the design for the original Hough Branch, the architects used the arched entrance, window openings, and decorative brickwork to pay homage to the Romanesque and Gothic Revival churches, houses, and apartment buildings of the neighboring area. After extensive renovation, the branch reopened in 1966 as Treasure House.
Hough Branch’s current building was constructed in 1984 and houses 11,800 square feet of materials and services. The building is designed as a group of three octagons, with the exterior of the building appearing as a range of pointed “hats.” Inside, one of the “hats” tops the children’s story-telling area, another the main part of the library, and the third is the community room. The building’s clerestory windows admit generous amounts of natural light.
- League Park, the Cleveland Indians’ original ballpark, is located nearby.
- In partnership with City Rising Farms, Hough Branch hosts Souper Saturdays for the community. This free series of hands-on workshops for youth and adults will focus on agriculture, gardening, community building, and more.
- Hough Branch actively collaborates with neighborhood agencies to maintain excellent service for its patron base.