Saint Teresa Holiness Science Church Records

St. Teresa’s Holiness Science Church is an African-American church founded in Cleveland, Ohio, by Jennie Benson Vaughn in 1950, growing to a membership of 300 within three months. Other churches were established in Nashville, Philadelphia, Indianapolis, and Camden, New Jersey, in the 1970s. Her husband, Frank Willis Vaughn, served as assistant pastor. The church was affiliated with the Holiness Science Organization, Inc. and accepted its belief regarding scientific proof for communication with the dead. The collection consists of organizational materials, correspondence, programs, clippings, a cookbook, and a biography of the Reverend Jennie B. Vaughn, the founder. The collection pertains primarily to Rev. Vaughn, her religious beliefs and her Cleveland, Ohio, congregation in the 1970s and 1980s, but also includes some records of the Nashville congregation, particularly church programs and a church sponsored cookbook. In addition, a constitution and covenant and statement of beliefs of the Holiness Science Organization, Inc. are included.

Details