Ludlow Community Association Records, Series II

The Ludlow Community Association was founded in 1957 to maintain neighborhood stability as the Ludlow area of Shaker Heights, Ohio, became integrated. The group sponsored block clubs, established a real-estate clearing house to encourage white ownership of Ludlow homes, and worked to improve sanitation, traffic flow, building codes and recreation facilities for the area. By 1968 the group had achieved national recognition for its progress in neighborhood stabilization and integration. The group was also active in promoting integration in other suburbs. The collection consists of minutes, correspondence, newsletters, reports, financial materials, publicity files, and clippings. These records pertain to the quality of housing and integration in the suburban community of Shaker Heights, Ohio, including both apartments and single-family units. They also highlight the organizational structure of the group.

Details