Former Junior Federation Records

The Former Junior Federation (f. 1927) was an African-American women’s social club constituted of the former members of the Junior Federation in Cleveland, Ohio. It was originally called the Gertrude Fisher Club after the founder who molded a group of youngsters into an organization that gathered in each other’s homes. The aims of the club were to instill an understanding of the body of culture and thought in the world, to train women to become more efficient club members and better citizens, and to promote service and philanthropy as well as social and cultural interests. In the 1950s they became members of the Council of Colored Women and renamed themselves the Junior Girls Federation. By 1965 they had again changed their name, this time to the Former Junior Federation, but continued their social, civic and friendly activities. The collection consists of a constitution, bylaws, membership rosters, minutes, financial statements, correspondence, clippings, and memorabilia.

Details