Cleveland Herald and Gazette

The Cleveland Herald and Gazette was first published on 19 Oct. 1819. It was the city’s second newspaper and, after the death of the Register in 1820, its only newspaper for the next 7 years. It was founded by Eber D. Howe, who personally delivered the weekly to subscribers in a 2-day circuit on horseback to Painesville and back, and often accepted payment in kind. After Howe’s withdrawal in 1821, with circulation painfully built up to 300, the paper was published by printer, Ziba Wiles & Co. Wiles ran the paper for several years, after which it was briefly operated by Jewett Paine and John R. St. John. Benjamin Andrews assumed control on 17 Apr. 1832.

Details