Formerly known as the Explorer, Traveler, and Rocket, the Bookmobile of today is The People’s University on Wheels. After a 15-year hiatus, a bright shiny vehicle took to the streets of Cleveland on November 26, 2001.
Bookmobile service was first called the Book Caravan (1926-ca.1948), then the Traveling Book Service (1949 – 1970), with the current moniker holding fast since 1970.
This full service mobile library, a 32-foot unit, is under operation year-round and serves all neighborhoods. The vehicle is fully automated, providing access to the Library’s collections of books for all ages, magazines, videos, compact disc, books-on-tape and DVDs. The unit contains computers with software and Internet access.
Services to homebound patrons are provided in compliance with Judd Fund requirements, a funding source supporting the cost of the vehicle and its services. A wheelchair lift and adaptive technology are provided for special needs patrons.