As communities grapple with the social implications of the shootings in Orlando, Baton Rouge, Minnesota, and Dallas in the past month, libraries across the United States are stepping up to offer resources and support. Issues of race, prejudice, inequity, and violence are challenging topics, but they must be addressed in open, safe and productive conversations if we wish to move forward as a nation. As President Obama stated in his July 12 speech in Dallas, “…if we cannot even talk about these things, if we cannot talk honestly and openly, not just in the comfort of our own circles, but with those who look different than us or bring a different perspective, then we will never break this dangerous cycle.”
Libraries throughout Cuyahoga County including, Cleveland Public Library, Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library, Cuyahoga County Public Library, East Cleveland Public Library, Euclid Public Library, Lakewood Public Library, Rocky River Public Library, Shaker Heights Public Library, and Westlake Porter Public Library, seek to support community dialogue around these critical issues and offer resources that can advance learning and understanding. Public libraries offer a variety of print and online books that families, community organizations and those wanting to make a difference can use to address these critical civil rights, justice and race issues.
In addition, please visit your local library’s website to learn about future programs or community dialogue sessions focused on the #BlackLivesMatter movement, justice reform, police/community relations, and more.
- Cleveland Public Library http://cpl.org
- Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library http://heightslibrary.org
- Cuyahoga County Public Library: cuyahogalibrary.org
- East Cleveland Public Library: eastclevelandpubliclibrary.org
- Euclid Public Library: euclidlibrary.org
- Lakewood Public Library: http://lakewoodpubliclibrary.org
- Rocky River Public Library: http://rrpl.org
- Shaker Heights Public Library http://shakerlibrary.org
- Westlake Porter Public Library: westlakelibrary.org