About the Department
The diversified collection of the Social Sciences Department addresses human relationships and experiences in their social, political and religious contexts. From legal codes to points of etiquette, most social concerns are covered here.
- The Sports Research Center: More than 25,000 books, magazines and primary research materials, including archival photos, scrapbooks, autographs, clippings, oral history recordings, correspondence and more.
- Subjects: Aging, anthropology, costumes, dance, folklore, the occult, sports & games, sociology, crime, education, death, international relations, government, and law.
- Special Strengths: Psychology, religion, baseball, social reform, women, international law, sports, and education.
- The Eugene C. Murdock Baseball Collection: Focus on American baseball, 1905-1976. Major league monographs, serials, photographs, scrapbooks, and programs, minor league programs and photographs. Oral history tapes of early 20th century major league players.
- Cleveland Desegregation Collection: Court documents, newsletters, and clippings from 1972 to date.
- United Nations: Our department is Ohio’s depository for the United Nations’ Official Records, serials, yearbooks and working documents.
- Cleveland City Club Forums 1979-Present: The City Club of Cleveland is the oldest continuous free speech forum in the country, renowned for its tradition of debate and discussion. Video and audio recordings available.