About the Department
Located on the first floor of the Main Library, Popular Library is the place to find new books, CDs, magazines, and audiobooks. Choose from a wide variety of new fiction and non-fiction titles, including popular genres such as mystery, science fiction, and romance. The Popular Library book and audiobook collection is located in historic Brett Hall. The Library’s comprehensive music CD collection, newspapers, reference periodicals and microforms complete the collections located on this floor.
- Books: Thousands of recently published books, paperbacks and graphic novels grouped into genres for easy browsing.
- Audiobooks: Fiction and non-fiction audiobooks on CD and Playaway device; also includes a collection of classic radio shows on CD.
- Music CDs: Over 40,000 CDs cover all musical genres, from pop hits to classical.
- Sound Effects Library: Royalty-free sound effects on CD. Ideal for filmmakers, media professionals, and anyone who needs the right sound for a project.
- Magazines: Hundreds of popular magazines for checkout and over 3,000 reference magazines.
- Newspapers: National and international newspapers. Includes current issues and retrospective volumes.
- Microform Collection: Images on strips or sheets of film are reduced in size so they can be read and printed using magnification machines. Collection is composed of nearly a half million items and 5,000 individual titles, including historic newspapers. Contact 216.623.2910 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Reference Periodicals Collection
If you are planning to visit the Main Building to view the archival collection of Periodicals, please call first. All bound volumes published prior to 1997 are housed at an off-site storage facility. The Periodical Center staff can order any volumes needed for you so that they can be here when you arrive. Please allow one business day for materials to arrive from off-site. For any questions or to make arrangements please call 216-623-2904. Please note that reference periodicals and bound volumes do not circulate.
- Place a Hold: Make sure you get the latest titles by placing a hold. Call ahead, email, or use the catalog to reserve an item.
- Reader’s Advisory: A good book is only good if you like it. Let us help you find more of what you like to read by asking a staff member for help.
- Novelist: This online tool allows readers of all ages to use a favorite author or title to discover new books to read.