About the Department
The collections of the History and Geography Department document the political and social history of the world. Holdings range from general overviews through standard and classic works including significant primary research materials.
The Department collects books, serials, maps and pamphlets to meet the varying needs of the general reader, the student and the researcher.
- American History: Covers all periods from colonization to the present. Strongest collections are on Northeast Ohio and Cleveland History, African American history, the Civil War, and Native Americans.
- European History: A strong collection in British history, the British Monarchy, along with concentrations on the history of France, Germany and Russia.
- Genealogy Research: In general the focus is on English genealogy, with a significant collection of materials on European heraldry.
- Geography: The cultural, physical, political, and social characteristics of countries throughout the world.
- Local History: History of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Northeast Ohio, and Ohio. City directories, histories of Cleveland covering a wide range of topics and events, and histories of Cleveland neighborhoods and ethnic communities.
- Travel: First-hand travel accounts from Marco Polo to Raymond O'Hanlon and Bill Tyson. Guidebooks from most major publishers covering all of the United States and many countries in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and all of the Americas.